SOUTHERN LIGHTS PRODUCTIONS INC OFFICIAL SOUTHERN LIGHTS: THE SEARCH FOR A STAR COMPETITION RULES
THIS COMPETITION IS ONLY OPEN TO AN INDIVIDUAL OR GROUP OF INDIVIDUALS THAT SUBMITS AN ENTRY VIA FACEBOOK.COM/SOUTHERNLIGHTSFL BY 11:59PM ON May 31, 2020.
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND IS NECESSARY TO ENTER THE CONTEST.
Event Name: Southern Lights: The Search for a Star (the “Competition”)
Promoter(s): Southern Lights Productions INC and related affiliates (the “Promoter”)
Contestant: An individual or group of individuals, or parent or guardian of a minor that post a submission video to Website. (Contestant)
1. ELIGIBILITY. This Competition is open only to individuals or groups of individuals who (i) are legal residents of the 50 United States and reside within a 250 mile radius of the USPS zip code 32425; (ii) who are 18 years of age or are accompanied by a parent or legal guardian if not at least 18 years of age at time of the contest; and (iii) are not already engaged in or bound by a contract with any recording agency, management agency, production company or any other entity that would have legal rights to the individual’s performance or abilities. A $100 entry fee will be required if chosen to compete in the live events.
The Competition is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local law and regulations.
Void where prohibited or restricted by law.
Employees, contractors, officers and directors of Promoter, its affiliates, parent companies, subsidiaries, divisions, suppliers, distributors and advertising, promotional and judging agencies, the Sponsor(s), and any third party prize provider(s) and/or prize fulfillment service (collectively, the “Competition Entities”); and members of the immediate families (spouse and biological, adoptive or step-parents, grandparents, children, grandchildren and siblings, and each of their respective spouses regardless of where they reside) or households (whether related or not) of any of the above individuals are not eligible to participate in the Competition or win the prize.
2.TIMING: Competition begins on April 20, 2020, at 12:00:00 a.m. CT and ends at 11:59:00 p.m. CT on May 31, 2020 (“Entry Period").
The Promoter's computer is the official time-keeping device for this Competition.
DESCRIPTION OF COMPETITION/HOW TO ENTER.
How to Enter: log on to and send a 2-3 minute video via Messenger to receive one (1) entry into the Competition. Limit: One (1) entry per person/persons/group of people. By entering this competition you agree to allow Promoter to use your video and/or your likeness as deemed appropriate by Promoter. By submitting a video entry you agree to be bound by the Official Rules.
A qualifying entry video will NOT utilize any cell phone application or enhancement devices including vocal/video filters. A qualifying video entry will be a video recorded within 90 days of the date of entry specifically for Competition. A qualifying video entry will be posted to Facebook once the video entry has been deemed approved. Date of submission to Southern Lights must fall within entry period.
The Released Parties (as defined below) are not responsible for lost, late, undeliverable, illegible, damaged, stolen, misdirected, mutilated, or incomplete entries/applications/release documents, regardless of cause. Multiple Contestants are not permitted to share the same email address/Facebook account. Should multiple users of the same e-mail account, Facebook account, or mobile phone number, as applicable, enter the Competition and a dispute thereafter arise regarding the identity of the Contestant, the authorized account holder of said e-mail account/Facebook account at the time of entry will be considered the Contestant. “Authorized account holder” is defined as the natural person who is assigned an e-mail address/Facebook account by an Internet access provider, on-line service provider, or other organization which is responsible for assigning e-mail addresses, Facebook accounts or the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address. Proof of submission of an entry shall not be deemed proof of submission or receipt by the Promoter for online entries. When applicable, the Promoter's computer will be deemed the official time keeping device for the Competition. Entries will be disqualified if inappropriate, incomplete and/or if prohibited multiple entries in excess of the stated limit are received. All entries become the property of Promoter and will not be acknowledged or returned.
By participating, you agree (a) to be bound by these Official Competition Rules; (b) as between you and the Promoter, that the decisions of the Promoter is final on all matters relating to the Competition; (c) you are not participating on behalf of any employer or third party; (d) in the event that you do not comply with these Rules, that you will be disqualified and your prize (if any) will be forfeited; and (e) (when applicable) the potential winner and/or finalist must be available to participate in any portion to the Competition that participation may be required to be considered eligible.
3. WINNER SELECTION. After the conclusion of the entry period, the Competition winner will be announced. A completed official entry form must be completed and received by Promoter to be eligible to win.
Potential Competition winner(s) is subject to verification, including verification of eligibility. If an Contestant is unable to verify his/her information, the Contestant will automatically be disqualified and their prize, if any, will be forfeited. The Promoter reserves the right to determine an alternate winner in accordance with these Official Rules in the event that any winner is disqualified, cannot be contacted, or is deemed ineligible for any reason, or is not available to participate in any applicable Competition events or at the grand prize event.
Winner Notification: Winner will be notified after the conclusion of the event. In the event that any one or more potential Winner(s) declines the prize or fails to comply with official rules, such Winner(s) will be deemed to forfeit the prize and Promoter will select an alternate Winner(s) from the remaining eligible Contestants. If any alternate(s) similarly fails to respond or declines the prize, Promoter shall have no further liability in connection with this Contestant.
The Promoter is not responsible for any change of email address, mailing address, and/or telephone number of Contestants. The Competition Entities are not responsible for and shall not be liable for late, misdirected or unsuccessful efforts to notify a finalist and/or potential winner(s), or (if the finalist or potential winner is a minor) for late, misdirected, or unsuccessful efforts of the Contestant to provide signed parental or guardian consent.
As a condition of participating in the Competition, Contestants agree and acknowledge to receive a prize and be deemed a winner, Contestants must sign the official waiver form provided by the Promoter and agree to the terms herein, including but not limited to the prize conditions. If eligible Contestants include minors, a parent or guardian of such eligible minor must sign a release on behalf of the minor to be eligible to receive a prize.
One (1) Video with the most reactions on Southern Lights' Facebook page $1,000.
One (1) Video with the second most reactions on Southern Lights' Facebook page $1,000.
Three (3) top performances as determined by contest officials.
Payment of Prize: Payment of Grand prize money will be made in two payments. The first payment will be within thirty (30) days of the completion of the live event. The final payment will be made within 13 months contingent on Winner participation in Promoter activities. Winner agrees to participate in any/all Promoter activities including the 2021 Southern Lights live event. All promotional activities include but are not limited to community outreach, scholarship related events, radio/tv/social media campaigns, and any other activities where the Winner receives at minimum five (5) days notice of event. By entering this contest, Contestant agrees to participate if they are selected as Grand Prize, Second Prize, or Third Prize winners
No more than the advertised number of prizes shall be awarded. The prize is subject to certain terms and conditions as specified herein. A prize may not be sold, traded, or commissioned, and is not exchangeable, transferable, substitutable, or redeemable for cash except at Promoter's sole discretion. Prize details and availability are subject to change. All costs and expenses related to the prize acceptance, the prize, and/or prize use not specified herein as being provided are the sole responsibility of winner(s).
Purchased or unethically obtained "likes"/reactions will disqualify the entry and can disqualify Contestant from current and/or future Promotor events. No prizes will be issued if Contestant is found to be in breach of any contest rules.
Odds of Winning: The odds of winning the prize depend on the number of eligible entries received.
Conditions and restrictions may apply. ALL PRIZES ARE AWARDED “AS IS” AND THE PROMOTOR DOES NOT MAKE (AND IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR) ANY REPRESENTATIONS, GUARANTEES, OR WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, IN FACT OR IN LAW, RELATING TO ANY PRIZE (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE), AND ALL SUCH WARRANTIES ARE HEREBY DISCLAIMED.
5. TAMPERING AND DELIVERY DISCLAIMER. (a) The Promotor, in its sole discretion, reserves the right to disqualify or prohibit from participating (and void such person’s entries) any person, who the Promotor determines (in its sole discretion) is or is attempting to: (i) tamper with any part of the Competition; (ii) undermine the legitimate operation of the Competition by cheating, deception, or other unfair playing practices, (iii) or intending to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other Contestants, the Promotor, or the Released Parties or exhibits other unsportsmanlike behavior; and/or (iv) otherwise violate these Official Rules. The Promotor will adjudicate all violations at it's discretion. (b) ANY ATTEMPT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE, CIRCUMVENT, OR DISRUPT THE PROMOTOR’S WEBSITE (OR ANY PART THEREOF) OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THIS COMPETITION MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS. SHOULD ANY SUCH ATTEMPT BE MADE, THE PROMOTOR AND ITS LICENSEES (IF ANY) RESERVE THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES AND ANY OTHER AVAILABLE REMEDIES FROM ANY SUCH PERSON(S) RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY SUCH ATTEMPT TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. EACH CONTESTANT (OR, IF THE CONTESTANT IS NOT OF AGE OF MAJORITY IN HIS/HER STATE OF RESIDENCE, THE LEGAL GUARDIANS THEREOF) AGREES TO INDEMNIFY AND HOLD HARMLESS THE PROMOTOR AND ITS AGENTS FROM AND AGAINST ANY AND ALL CLAIMS, LOSSES, DAMAGES AND/OR LIABILITIES (INCLUDING REASONABLE ATTORNEYS' FEES AND EXPENSES) THAT MAY BE ASSERTED AGAINST OR INCURRED BY ANY OF THEM AT ANY TIME, IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE THEREOF, AND/OR BY CONTESTANT’S BREACH OF ANY REPRESENTATION, WARRANTY OR COVENANTS ASSOCIATED WITH THIS COMPETITION. The use of any automated device, automated voting or entry software or any other mechanical or electronic means that permits the Contestant to automatically enter or evaluate repeatedly is prohibited. Any tampering or fraudulent or unethical attempt to obtain likes/comments/votes intended to advance a contestant’s standings will disqualify Contestant from participation. The Promotor disclaims all liability for any delays, mis delivery, loss, or failure in the delivery of any item sent by mail, courier, express, electronic transmission, or other delivery method.
Released Parties are not responsible for: (1) mechanical, technical, electronic, communications, telephone, computer, hardware or software errors, malfunctions or failures of any kind, including: failed, incomplete, garbled or delayed transmission of online entries, traffic congestion on telephone lines, the Internet or at any website or lost or unavailable network connections which may limit an online Contestant's ability to participate in the Competition; (2) any injury or damage to Contestant’s or any other person’s computer related to or resulting from participating in or downloading any information necessary to participate in the Competition; (3) any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by Contestants, printing errors or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Competition; (4) technical failures of any kind, including, but not limited to malfunctions, interruptions, or disconnections in phone lines or network hardware or software; (5) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or operation of the Competition; or (6) technical or human error which may occur in the administration of the Competition or the processing of entries.
The Promotor further reserves the right to: (i) cancel, terminate, suspend, declare null or void, amend, alter, or modify the Competition, void any suspicious entries, rescind any prize, and/or determine absolute resolution, and/or an alternate method of conducting the Competition and/or awarding the prize(s) at any time, for any reason, or if, in the sole discretion of the Promotor, it is impossible or impractical to complete or conduct the Competition as planned for any reason, including, but not limited to, infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures of any sort, programming associated with or used in the Competition, by any human error which may occur in the execution of this Competition, or any other causes which effect the operation of the Competition or the rules of the integrity of the Competition have been violated or compromised in any way, intentionally or unintentionally by any person whether or not a Contestant in the Competition and/or (ii) stop or conclude the Competition at any time without prior notice. Material changes to the Official Rules will be posted on Facebook, when practical. In the event of termination of the Competition by Promotor, Promotor reserves the right to award any prize(s) in a manner deemed fair and equitable by Promotor.
6. PUBLICITY. By submitting a video entry to the Competition, permission is granted the Promotor to film, record, edit, and/or publish any or all of the material submitted, as well as anything filmed or recorded at events sponsored by the Promotor in which a Contestant including minor children or wards participate. Contestant grant the Promotor permission to use their names, characters, images, voices, performances, activities, and likenesses worldwide, in perpetuity, in any productions, advertisements, and marketing mediums. Each contestant’s name may be included in a publicly available list.
Except where prohibited, by accepting a prize, winner(s) grant the Promotor permission to use their names, characters, images, voices, performances, activities, and likenesses worldwide, in perpetuity, in any and all media now known or hereinafter invented in any and all marketing and promotional materials and waive any claims to royalty, right, or remuneration for such use. Each winner’s name may be included in a publicly available winners list.
7. ETHICAL ENTRIES/SUBMISSIONS: Any entry submitted that is deemed to be inappropriate will be removed and Contestant will be ineligible to compete in the event. Determination of appropriate submissions is at the sole discretion of the Promotor. By participating in the Competition each Contestant agrees to maintain a family friendly environment as well as a safe environment to humans and animals alike. Each entry can be removed at the discretion of the Promotor if any entry is deemed outside of these ethical entries without notice to the Contestant.
8. RELEASES, CONDITIONS, AND LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY. By participating in the Competition, each Contestant agrees to release and waive any and all claims of liability against the Competition Entities, Promotor, Supporters, Volunteers, or anyone associated with the Competition and any applicable third party fulfillment service including the venue and each of their respective employees and agents (collectively, the “Released Parties”) from and against from any and all liability, loss or damage (including personal injury) incurred with respect to the conduct of or participation in the Competition, or the awarding, shipping/handling, receipt, possession, and/or use or misuse of any prize, including any travel related thereto. By entering this Competition, Contestant(s) hereby agrees that: (i) to release each of the Released Parties from any and all claims in connection with the Competition and the award/prize. The Released Parties are not responsible or liable to any Contestant or winner or any person claiming through such Contestant or winner for failure to supply the prize or any part thereof, by reason of any acts of God, any action, regulation, order or request by any governmental or quasi-governmental entity (whether or not the action, regulations, order or request proves to be invalid), equipment failure, threatened terrorist acts, terrorist acts, air raid, blackout, act of public enemy, earthquake, volcanic eruption, war (declared or undeclared), fire, flood, epidemic, explosion, unusually severe weather, hurricane, embargo, labor dispute or strike (whether legal or illegal) labor or material shortage, transportation interruption of any kind, work slow-down, civil disturbance, insurrection, riot, or any other cause beyond the Competition Entities’ sole control. Upon awarding the prize, the Promotor will have no further obligation to winner.
9. TAXES. Any valuation of the prize(s) stated above is based on available information provided to the Promotor, and the value of any prize awarded to a winner may be reported to the IRS as required by law. Each winner is solely responsible for reporting and paying any and all applicable federal, state, and local taxes, related to prize acceptance and use not specified herein. Each winner must provide the Promotor with valid identification and a valid taxpayer identification number or social security number before any prize will be awarded. Any person winning over $600 in prizes from the Promotor in a calendar year will be issued an IRS Form 1099 reporting the value of those prizes to the IRS.
10. CONDUCT AND DECISIONS. All decisions of the Promotor will be final and binding on all matters relating to this Competition. Persons who violate any rule, gain unfair advantage in participating in the Competition, or obtain winner status using fraudulent means will be disqualified. The Promotor will interpret these Rules and resolve any disputes, conflicting claims or ambiguities concerning the rules or the Competition and the Promotor’s decisions concerning such disputes shall be final. If, for any reason, more bona fide winners are notified than prize(s) available, prize(s) will be awarded in a random drawing from among all such persons. Inclusion in such drawing shall be each Contestant's sole and exclusive remedy under such circumstances. Any reference in these Official Rules or as part of the Competition to the Promotor’s and/or Promotor(s)’s "discretion" and/or any exercise of discretion by the Promotor or Promotor(s) shall mean in Promotor’s and/or Promotor(s)’s "sole and unfettered discretion." The Promotor further reserves the right to terminate the Competition if in its sole judgment, the rules or the integrity of the Competition have been violated or compromised in any way, intentionally or unintentionally by any person whether or not a Contestant in the Competition. In the event the Competition is terminated, Promotor will award the prize(s) in a random drawing from all eligible entries received prior to termination. If applicable material changes to the Competition rules will be available on-line at the Promotor(s)’s website, when practical.
11.BINDING ARBITRATION. Any controversy or claim arising out of or relating to the Promotor and/or Competition shall be settled by binding arbitration in a location determined by the arbitrator as set forth herein (provided that such location is reasonably convenient for claimant), or at such other location as may be mutually agreed upon by the parties, in accordance with the procedural rules for commercial disputes set forth in the Comprehensive Arbitration Rules and Procedures of JAMS (“JAMS Rules and Procedures”) then prevailing, and judgment upon the award rendered by the arbitrator(s) may be entered in any court having jurisdiction thereof. The arbitrator shall be selected pursuant to the JAMS Rules and Procedures. The arbitrator shall apply Alabama law consistent with the Federal Arbitration Act and applicable statutes of limitations, and shall honor claims of privilege recognized at law. In the event that the claimant is able to demonstrate that the costs of arbitration will be prohibitive as compared to the costs of litigation, Promotor will pay as much of the claimant’s filing and hearing fees in connection with the arbitration as the arbitrator deems necessary to prevent the arbitration from being cost-prohibitive. If any part of this arbitration provision is deemed to be invalid, unenforceable or illegal (other than that claims will not be arbitrated on a class or representative basis), or otherwise conflicts with the rules and procedures established by JAMS, then the balance of this arbitration provision shall remain in effect and shall be construed in accordance with its terms as if the invalid, unenforceable, illegal or conflicting provision were not contained herein. If, however, the portion that is deemed invalid, unenforceable or illegal is that claims will not be arbitrated on a class or representative basis, then the entirety of this arbitration provision shall be null and void, and neither claimant nor Promotor shall be entitled to arbitrate their dispute. Upon filing a demand for arbitration, all parties to such arbitration shall have the right of discovery, which discovery shall be completed within sixty days after the demand for arbitration is made, unless further extended by mutual agreement of the parties. THE ARBITRATION OF DISPUTES PURSUANT TO THIS PARAGRAPH SHALL BE IN THE CONTESTANT’S INDIVIDUAL CAPACITY, AND NOT AS A PLAINTIFF OR CLASS MEMBER IN ANY PURPORTED CLASS OR REPRESENTATIVE PROCEEDING. THE ARBITRATOR MAY NOT CONSOLIDATE OR JOIN THE CLAIMS OF OTHER PERSONS OR PARTIES WHO MAY BE SIMILARLY SITUATED. DO NOT ENTER THIS COMPETITION IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO HAVE ANY CLAIM OR CONTROVERSY ARBITRATED IN ACCORDANCE WITH THESE OFFICIAL RULES.
12. MISCELLANEOUS. Promotor reserves the right to determine eligibility should special circumstances arise, all decisions are considered final and binding. Promotor disclaims any responsibility to notify Contestants of any aspect related to the conduct of the Competition. As a condition of participating in the Competition, Contestants agree (and agree to confirm in writing) that: (a) under no circumstances will Contestant be permitted to obtain costs, judgments, or awards for, and Contestant hereby knowingly and expressly waives all rights to claim or seek punitive, incidental, consequential, special, or any other damages, other than for actual, third-party out-of-pocket expenses, and in such limitation, Contestant further waives any rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased; (b) any and all disputes, claims, or causes of action arising out of or connected with this Competition, or any prize awarded, shall be resolved individually, through binding arbitration as set forth above, without resort to any form of class action; and (c) any and all claims, judgments, and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred (if any), excluding attorneys’ fees and court costs. Some jurisdictions do not allow the limitations or exclusion of liability, so the above may not apply to every Contestant. Participation in the Competition constitutes Contestant’s full and unconditional agreement to, and acceptance of these Official Rules. Winning a prize is contingent upon Contestant’s fulfillment of all requirements set forth herein.
13. COMPLIANCE WITH LAW AND GOVERNING LAW. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of the Competition Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of Contestant and Promotor in connection with the Competition, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of ALABAMA, U.S.A., without giving effect to the conflict of laws rules thereof, and any matters or proceedings which are not subject to arbitration as set forth in Section 11 of these Official Rules and/or for entering any judgment on an arbitration award, shall take place in the State of ALABAMA.